Friday, August 24, 2007

My British tour diary

I wrote this in my journal this morning:
To repeat an often-heard phrase from this morning's commute, this is absolutely bloody awful. I am exhausted (it being 5am EST) and did not sleep at all on the plane. I have been in transit for more than two hours, and have gotten lost, bungled the connection, and otherwise fallen further into this hole of self-pity and desperation. At least I don't have both of my big bags with me, as I left one of them at the airport in Left Luggage storage. I hope I get there soon.

It is 4:10 pm London time, and I am now sitting in the pub, feeling tired but not nearly as desolate. I finally found my way through a street lined with open-air vegetable and fabric and all other kinds of stands. It seems that this is an ethnically diverse neighborhood, so that's neat. Then, I got to sleep on the common room couch for a few hours, and that did amazing things for my morale. I was absolutely exhausted. And now I suppose that I will explore the neighborhood with a girl from Texas who is also traveling alone.
I am having a hard time typing on this computer because the shift key is a little bit different. I'll live, I suppose. Or maybe just stop using caps?
I have a headache, and I'm tired of typing, so I'm going to try to find something to eat. I got here all in one piece, although my trip has been an exercise in patience. Hopefully the next few days will be much more refreshing.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Hi sweet Audrey, Glad to hear you made it to London. Sounds like an exhausting trip! How's that budget going? All's well in Gboro, but hot, hot, hot! Hope it's nice weather there. Take care of yourself and get lots of rest, eat good stuff and explore lots of sites. love you bunches, Aunt D