Saturday, September 8, 2007

Kokrobite beach

Today was wonderful and amazing. We went as a group to Kokrobite beach, which is this absolutely pristine beach with palm trees and white sand and wonderful water, all together with colorful fishing boats and small children and fishermen repairing their nets.

There were a lot of Rasta's there. One lit up a joint right in front of me, and proceeded to sell little baggies of pot out of a plastic bag. It was definitely a quality operation [sarcasm inserted]. He had four-inch-across, inch-thick matted dreads (not the sexy, well-kept kind, but the kind that has bits of old animals and the remnants of past civilizations in them). However, some of them were wonderful and nice and playing soccer on the beach and splashing in the water. There were even some little kids who had dreads. Their dad had hair down to his ankles. Wow.

Although it was an absolutely wonderful day overall, men kept hitting on me, asking me for my number, etc. This makes me extremely uncomfortable.I never truly appreciated how little harassment I get in the United States, but I am starting to understand. Although it stings every part of my broader independent feminist consciousness to realize that it would be easier if I were perceived as "taken", maybe I will make up a bio for my boyfriend in the States. His name is Charles, and he goes to school at Michigan State (people know where that is, or at least the name). He is a football player, and extremely large in stature. Originally, he was from Nigeria. His family has oil wealth (and also old money?), and they came to the US when he was 5. I have no idea how many children we are going to have, but I have met his family. They are extremely numerous, and will protect me with weapons and kitchen utensils if necessary. I would love to be able to use my own friends and family as a threat, but a bunch of white people thousands of miles away don't have a chance.

I could also say that I am training to be a nun, or that I have a terminal illness, or that I am no fun at all. Or I could stop bathing and washing my clothes. I think that Charles is starting to sound more and more appealing.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Tell them you have 6'6 Aunt that will whoop up on 'em if they mess with you! It's wonderful reading your blogs. Keep it up. Much love to you. Aunt D